Monday, June 10, 2013

DIY Bookshelf from Wooden Crates!

Since we've moved into our new house, I've accumulated approximately 20 DIY projects... all going on at once! Here's one of the few I've completed! We have tons of books between the two of us, so I really needed an affordable way to display them all.


Materials:
Crates (I used 9 of these that I found at Joann Fabric and Crafts). Make sure to search for coupons when buying from Joann's!

Staining supplies: sandpaper, stain, steel wool, topcoat, dropcloth
Screws and screwdriver (a handyman helps here, as well!)
LOTS of books to fill it!

Steps:
  1. Sand all of your crates down (some of the edges were really raw on mine, and I had to use wood glue to repair a few cracks)
  2. Apply one coat of stain, steel wool after
  3. Repeat step 2 until you get your desired color. I used Rustoleum in "Kona" and only used one coat!
  4. Apply top coat. I only used one layer, but that was because I was anxious to get this bookcase put to use! 
  5. Screw the crates together in the arrangement you want. I had my favorite handyman/husband do this part!
  6. Arrange all of your books!
Here are some photos I took during the process!

The crates fresh out of the delivery boxes!

Almost done! 

The final product!

I really like the different shades of stain on the crates!

2 comments :