Friday, May 31, 2013

Etsy Shop Feature: Animal Fancy

Okay... ever since I put out a notice looking for shops to feature, I've been waiting to show you this amazing shop - Animal Fancy, by Donna. She has the most unique art prints and notecards of "weird and wonderful vintage animals". All of the prints are her original photo manipulations - sometimes creepy, sometimes cute, but always fun!

This post is going to have tons of pictures, so get ready! Click on each picture to be taken to the listing in Animal Fancy


Ready? Click "Read more" below to see what I'm talking about in this wonderful shop!


1. Tell me a little about yourself! What are your hobbies, etc?
Well, I'm definitely an animal lover! Aside from digital art, I enjoy reading, needlework, crochet, and am a rather serious billiard player. I'm also drawn (like a magnet) to the strange and unique people, places, and things in the world.
Charlie - Vintage 8x8 Dog Print - Anthropomorphic - Funny Animal Print - Vintage Animal - Collage Art - Funny Dog Photo - Altered Photo

2. Tell me about your Etsy shop. How did you get started in your craft and what made you decide to sell on Etsy? Do you sell anywhere else?
My Animal Fancy shop on Etsy is the result of many months of thinking far outside the box after I lost my corporate job to a mass lay off. Having also lost my dog, it was a time abundant with a great sense of despair, as I was unable to afford another pet. Once I started creating my digital anthropomorphs, life became hopeful again and now I enjoy a successful shop and wonderful conversation with animal lovers all over the world. Who would have thought? 

Karen - Vintage 5x7 Cat Print - Anthropomorphic - Altered Photo - Unique Art - Photo Collage - Whimsical Art - Gift Idea

This one reminds me of my cat, Pye! What do you think?


I also sell my work at various boutiques in the US, a couple of art galleries, and am currently working towards helping animal rescues with my work. 

Vintage Animal 5x7 Print - Anthropomorphic - Altered Photo - Lions, Tigers, and Bears, Wizard of Oz, Collage Art, Funny Animal Print - Art

A crazy thing happened in 2012 when the Rochester Museum of Fine Arts in New Hampshire recruited my "Ramsey" print to be part of the museum's permanent collection. So my shop has definitely grown tentacles, and I hope to have a book on the shelves at some point in the future.
Ramsey - Vintage Ram 5x7 Print - Anthropomorphic - Altered Photo - Whimsical Art - Photo Collage - Funny Animal - Unusual Gift Idea

3. What is your favorite thing to create? Where do you get your inspiration? Do you have a favorite listing in your shop?
I literally have fallen in love with all of my "little darlings" as I call them. My inspiration comes from a deep love for animals of every kind. I love creating all of them, but only when the image "speaks" to me do I actually list them. Once they're named and have a role in the inner "Fancyville" community that exists within my shop, they feel like part of my immediate family.
Bethesda - Vintage Deer 5x7 Print - Anthropomorphic - Altered Photo - Gift Idea - Photo Collage Art - Whimsical Art - Fantasy Art

4. How has your business evolved since you first started out?
My business in definitely evolving into wholesale opportunities, a book project mentioned above, and I'm hoping to introduce my work on products as well. With all that's happened during my first year, I'm excited and optimistic about the future of Animal Fancy.
Angel Mary - Vintage Cat 5x7 Print - Anthropomorphic - Animal Print - Collage Art - Christmas - Whimsical Art - Gift Idea - Blue

5. What tips do you have for others interested in opening an Etsy shop or starting a small business?
Keep thinking. Even when your mind is blank, keep thinking. I believe with an open mind, and the belief that you are talented, that you do have skills to create something others will pay for, that you have the wherewithal to take the chance and not be afraid to fail, somehow, some way, the pieces will fall into place and the next thing you know, you have a real business doing something you absolutely love. Nothing feels better than knowing that by your own hands, you have brought a bit of joy and happiness into another person's life.
Yvonne - Vintage Dog 5x7 Print - Anthropomorphic - Altered Photo - Christmas Art - Whimsical Art - Snow - Gift Idea - Blue - Photo Collage
And this one looks like my Bonnie!

6. How do you see your business growing in the future?
I can envision so many possibilities for my business, mainly with getting my artwork on t-shirts, iphone covers, totes, etc. One step at a time is how it will grow. But Etsy offers incredible opportunity, as one never does know who's looking.

Pavlova - Ballerina Dog Photo - 5x7 Vintage Animal Print - Altered Photo - Anthropomorphic - Collage Art - Siberian Husky

3 comments :

  1. I've purchased several of Donna's pieces (both prints and cards). I think they're wonderful...and most of all, fun!

    ~Rebecca (One of those strange and unique people!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Ashley! I'm so happy and grateful for your kindness in featuring my work. Wishing you all the best ~ Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being a fellow animal lover, I just LOVE her work! Unique, vintage and full of fur.

    Brooke Montes Art

    ReplyDelete