Friday, March 8, 2013

Etsy Shop Feature: tilly tilda

Welcome to a brand new series on the PrintableWisdom blog... Etsy shop features! I'll be posting interviews with shop owners hopefully every week (and more often if there is a lot of interest!) and showcasing the amazing talent found on Etsy!

This very first interview is with Suzy Mae, owner of tilly tilda. She creates beautiful Waldorf dolls, birthday crowns, and doll clothing and runs a very successful shop on Etsy. 

When reading her "About Page", you can really tell how much passion Suzy puts into her work! I love the story of how her shop came into being; one of her daughters (for whom the shop is named) did not speak until the age of four and Suzy created her very first Waldorf doll for her daughter to interact and bond with. If that isn't a great beginning for a business, I don't know what is! 

Read below to find out more about tilly tilda and Suzy, and discover some of her wonderful creations!



Tell me a little about yourself! What are your hobbies, etc?

I'm Suzy. I'm 33 years old and a homeschooling mama of 5 girls. I live near Nottingham's Sherwood Forest. The one made famous by the folklore of Robin Hood! 
I love to paint, draw, sew, garden and knit! My days usually include at least one of these activities :)

Tell me about your Etsy shop. How did you get started in your craft and what made you decide to sell on Etsy? 
I have always dreamed of being an artist ever since I was a child. I was really excited to find out about Etsy. I thought it would be a great way to make my dream come to life!

Do you sell anywhere else? 
I have sold at local craft markets and to friends and family.

What is your favorite thing to create? (*click photo for link to this listing*)
Now that's a tough question :) I love making beautiful birthday crowns, needle felting is almost like painting with fibres! But I also love to craft one of a kind dolls and watch them slowly come to life in my hands. I also love to draw in quiet moments and hope to add a section to my shop that will include my prints soon!

Where do you get your inspiration? 
From the textures and colours of the English countryside. And of course my 5 lively little girls. 

Do you have a favorite listing in your shop? (*click photo for link to this listing*)
Mmmm, again that is a tough question :) Probably I'd have to say this sweet summery gnome. He has such a gentle face :)

How has your business evolved since you first started out?
I have expanded my range which is really exciting and challenging.

What tips do you have for others interested in opening an Etsy shop or starting a small business?
It has to be your passion. You have to really love what you are doing and believe in it. It has to have roots in your heart because it is hard work especially at first. I also think that it is really important to keep your integrity and make pieces that really mean something to you. The honesty of your work should shine through.

How do you see your business growing in the future?
I am hoping to source my natural materials as locally as possible. Using locally sourced, natural materials is a really important part of tilly tilda's ethos. I also hope to expand my shop and include nursery print's of my artwork

Follow these links to find out more about tilly tilda!

4 comments :

  1. Thank you Ashley! It's absolutly wonderful! Thank you for all the care you've taken. I really enjoyed answering your questions :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That crown is so adorable!

    -Kelly
    http://www.blartblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete