Thursday, December 20, 2012

DIY: Glittered Mason Jars with Chalkboard Tops

Today's DIY project is perfect for giving home baked goods (or anything else that will fit in a Mason jar) all year round... and it's super sparkly which makes any gift better! Check out the finished project below!
DIY Glitter  Chalkboard mason jars Tutorial by PrintableWisdom
Glittery right?

Now that you know how adorably these jars are going to turn out, lets get started! 

First we need supplies:
Mason jars (I'm using the quilted patterned jars but any Mason jar will work)
Mod Podge (I'm using glossy)
Glitter - any color you choose, I'm using bright gold (a giant tub!)
Masking tape
Paint brush(es)
Chalkboard paint (*not shown*)
DIY Glitter  Chalkboard mason jars Tutorial by PrintableWisdom
Follow these steps:
1. Tape around the Mason jar at whatever level you want your glitter to go to. I taped mine about 3/4 of the way up the jar.
2. Coat your Mason jar with Mod Podge. You want a layer that's not too thin, but not in huge globs either - just a nice even coat.
3. Sprinkle glitter all over your Mason jar (I did this over a bowl so I could collect the glitter instead of my floor collecting it!). Shake off the excess
4. Peel off the tape and allow the jars to dry upside down (so you don't mess up the bottom edges with glitter)
5. Paint the tops of the Mason jars (just the flat insert portion) with chalkboard paint. Make sure to follow the directions on the jar. I did 3 layers 1 hour apart each and let the lids sit overnight.
DIY Glitter  Chalkboard mason jars Tutorial by PrintableWisdom
After letting your jars and lids dry, it's time to assemble them! Put your treats or gifts inside, seal the lid, and tie on a cute tag!
I'm using my "Secret Recipe" tags from PrintableWisdom. You can find them in my Etsy store - they are customized with the recipe name of your choice!
DIY Glitter  Chalkboard mason jars Tutorial by PrintableWisdom
Don't forget to write the name of the gift-ee on your chalkboard lid!

Aren't these the sparkliest Mason jars you've ever seen? What are you planning to put in yours? Let me know in the comments!

And I'd love for you to pin one of the pictures in this tutorial to share with your friends and family!

8 comments :

  1. Oh wow, these look amazing, problem is I'd have no idea what to fill them with :( Still, got plenty of time to figure it out before next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like them! And there's definitely time to think of a filler before next year!

      I think I may use my extras as pencil holders on my desk, too!

      Delete
  2. Lovely blog, found you on etsy :) New follower.

    - Jeanna
    http://barnyardchic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Jeanna! I'm going to go check out your blog right now!

      Delete
  3. Oh Ashley, you know I love sparklies! LOVE this DIY - already pinned it. =0)
    I especially like the chalkboard lids. Really cool.
    ~Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! Looking for ideas for centerpieces for my daughter's bat mitzvah and the glitter idea is terrific!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be so pretty! They really do look good as a grouping too... I almost hate to split them up! :)

      Delete